A recipe that belongs to a friend's mom. I think calling this dish 'crab curry' is a little disrespectful as this is more than just a curry. This is a gateway to seafood heaven from where you wouldn't want to come back. No, seriously! But to keep it simple and to get many to try this 'oh so good' recipe, I'am going to go with a simple name. You can thank me later for deceiving you into adding another awesome recipe to your repertoire.
Group A (for dry roasting)
Group B - For Curry
- Dry roast all ingredients in Group A and grind them with some water and keep aside. You can blend them in your mixer too.
- In a clay pot (if you have one) or in a deep bottomed pan, heat oil.
- Add mustard seeds. When they start to crackle, add onions, curry leaves, ginger garlic paste, green chillies and saute.
- Add crabs and stir a bit.
- Add tamarind paste / tarmarind water. Incase you are adding paste, you might have to add some plain water to get some gravy. It's upto you. :)
- When the mixture boils, add the ground paste.
- Let everything cook. Taste and see whether anything is missing and add accordingly.
- In the end, splash a bit of coconut oil and add some curry leaves.