I've never made a flourless cake before. And the idea of almond and orange together vowed me immediately. With just five ingredients, you have a healthy, gluten-free cake. The only thing that worried me (a bit) was processing the cooked oranges with pip and all. I bought couple of seedless oranges to put my mind at peace. I followed the recipe to the tee and everything went smooth.
For the cake
For garnish (You can skip mascarpone if you want to)
- Wash the oranges and cook in boiling water for 2 hours. Drain and allow the oranges to cool before pureeing them in a food processor. They are pureed, with skin, pips and all. This can be done ahead of time.
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Line a 20 cm cake tin and dust it with a little caster sugar.
- Place the eggs and caster sugar in a mixing bowl and beat well. Stir in the orange puree followed by the almond meal and baking powder.
- Pour into the tin and dust the top with more caster sugar to give the cake a beautiful golden crust.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours, until the top is golden brown. Dust with icing sugar.
- Mix the mascarpone cheese with the orange zest and top it over the cake to serve.Sprinkle some almonds to give some crunch.